Consult with your doctor before starting the apple cleansing fast. You must make sure that you’re healthy enough to endure the fast and that your body will benefit.
Discuss the benefits of an apple cleansing fast in detail with your doctor. Fasts have been used to ease the symptoms of a wide number of ailments including debilitation, arthritis, headache, constipation, anemia, pin worms and stroke.
Eat more fiber. Fiber is the number one nutrient for maintaining proper digestive function and, as such, is a fantastic natural cleanser. Eating more fiber helps the body to rid itself of the toxins, preservatives and other harmful waste materials that have built up in the digestive tract over time.
- Increasing your fiber intake helps to cleanse your body by stimulating regular bowel movements, leaving you feeling light and healthy, rather than bloated and sluggish.
- The best natural sources of fiber include whole-grain cereals, pasta and rice, fresh fruit and vegetables (especially with the skins left on), beans, lentils and almonds.
Eat more fiber. Think of it as a broom that sweeps away everything in your digestive system — fiber is the lone nutrient that isn’t digested and helps the bowels contract. In short, more fiber = an emptier colon.
- Flax seeds and oats are super-sources of fiber — both the soluble and the insoluble kind. Fruits (namely strawberries and apples), veggies, whole grains, and beans are good sources too, though.
- Aim for about 20 to 35 grams of fiber a day. You’ll need to up your fruit and veggie intake significantly (5 servings a day) and pack on the whole grains (coming in at 6), but the good news is those things are all delicious, healthy, and help with weight loss, too.
Drink a lot of water. Nice, refreshing, plain water will make everything in your body function better. Instead of drinking 8 eight-ounce glasses of water, look at the color of your urine. If it is pale yellow or near-clear you’re doing a great job; if it’s darker than that, start drinking more!
- Alcohol and caffeinated beverages don’t count to your overall liquid intake — they just dehydrate you. For this and other reasons (empty calories, etc.), it’s just best to avoid them.
- Drinking more can help alleviate constipation, too. Liquids are known to bulk up stools and, obviously, add fluid to your colon, flushing everything out.
Consume more fermented foods. Believe it or not, there are bacteria in fermented foods that are very, very good for you and your colon. Without them, certain nutrients go unsynthesized, toxins don’t degrade, and disease-causing micro-organisms can set up house in your digestive system. Basically, they give the cells in your colon the energy to do their job.
- Yogurt, miso, kimchi, and sauerkraut are four examples of fermented foods. Kefir and kombucha tea provide the good stuff through drink, too
Do not use the apple cleansing fast to lose weight. Instead, see it as a way to restore your digestive processes so that you can maintain a weight ideal for your body type and size.
Prepare for the fast by eating a diet that is healthy and light at least 3 days prior to your start. Most people want to eat a heavy, big meal the night before a fast; however, this can be detrimental to your health once you start, as your body is shocked by a sudden reduction in calories.
Eat as many organic apples as you can consume for the first 3 days of the fast. Don’t worry about how many apples you consume; when you’re hungry, eat. You can drink water, apple juice or apple cider. Avoid apple juice or cider with high levels of sugar.
Drink 2 tablespoons of olive oil either on the third night of the fast or on the morning of the fourth day. Olive oil will help your digestion and prompt bowel movements as your fast ends.
Drink a glass of orange juice on the morning of the fourth day to break the fast. For your noon meal, eat fruits and vegetables. Add in grains to your diet for dinner.
Return to your regular diet and exercise routine on Day 5.
Repeat the apple cleansing fast once a month for 3 consecutive months to get the most benefit.